The scores have been compiled and submitted for the DARC 64th Field Day activity.
Well, at least we had fun!
This was NOT a good year. There were some good things that happened, but the number of contacts we made was NOT one of them.
Here’s the breakdown of the scoring:
- CW contacts: 0
- Digital contacts: 0
- Phone contacts: 396 (includes 89 GOTA SSB contacts)
Notice that ugly number “0” next to the digital and CW contacts. We had NONE this year. Each of those types count 2 points each, so all of the contacts we made were only a single point each.
We multiply the number of contacts by 2 because of the transmitter power that we used, so that makes our total QSO score to be 792.
On the bright side, we were able to gather 1,010 bonus points. But to have more bonus points that contact points is NOT the way Field Day is supposed to work!
The total submitted score for this year is 1,802. That’s 614 points LESS than last year’s score.
A couple of additional notes:
- We had NO CW or digital contacts AT ALL this year. NONE.
- We had 40 fewer phone contacts on the main stations than last year.
- We had 89 phone contacts on the GOTA station this year.
- We get 60 bonus points because 1 operator of the GOTA station got 60+ contacts.
- We got 100 media publicity points this year. The Decatur Daily had a calendar announcement and sent photographers.
- We were visited by an agency official: Eddie Hicks, EMA Director. 100 points.
- We were visited by a government official: Decatur mayor Tab Bowling. 100 points.
- We get a 100 point social media bonus. We now have a CLUB Facebook page.
- Bob WA4ZZW copied the W1AW Field Day message via PSK31. That gives us an additional 100 points.
So now we wait for the official posting of scores.
And we start preparing for next year: Field Day 2018 is June 23rd and 24th!